Wool/bamboo blend
  • I would like to dye a wool/bamboo blend yarn by the skein. Has anybody had any experience with this mix. I am thinking of using idye on the stove top.

Thanks for your help.

AmandaH
  • Hi Amanda,

Dyeing this type of fiber blend is very doable. The one thing you'll want to keep in mind is that wool is subject to shrinkage and felting with heat and agitation. To avoid this you'll want to raise the temperature of your dye bath (with the yarn immersed) very slowly and then allow it to cool completely before you rinse it.
    I would also suggest using Procion MX rather than the iDye as you will get better results on the wool. Having said that, do keep in mind that you are dyeing two different types of fiber, bamboo which is plant based (cellulose), and wool which is animal based (protein). These two different types of fiber actually prefer different Ph balances but because the bamboo is a little more forgiving I would treat the fiber as if it were all protein. You will find instructions here for dyeing protein with Procion MX dyes.
    One last idea to mull around - You could simply use Acid dye (designed specifically for use with protein fibers) which will dye only the protein fibers in your yarn and this will give you a beautiful, two toned yarn.
    anet