Jacquard green label dyes on silk thread and floss
  • I've spent the summer experimenting with green label dyes on silk thread and floss. I tie silk floss into ten-yard skeins, rinse it thoroughly in Synthropol, and "paint" the damp floss with eyedroppers of dye. After the prescribed wait, I fix with the Jacquard dye fixative.

Does anyone have any experience using these dyes in this way as opposed to painting silk fabric with them, which is what they were designed for?

I was uncertain about this adventure, but the results have been unexpectedly wonderful. The resulting floss is soft, pliable, and though I frequently wet the threads for working, never see color come off.

My sole reservation is lightfastness. Though the green label dyes are classified as "lightfast," I've seen visible fading in threads left for a week on my embroidery stand in a summer-lit living room. Dark blue and blue-green is a particular problem. (What I'm working on is a reproduction of an 18th-century sampler, and some fading is desirable.) Would increasing fixing time help?
  • Our Green Label dyes are certainly light fast when compared to other dyestuffs available on the consumer market. However, being a dyestuff, they will never be as light fast as pigments. It may be worthwhile for one to try Dye Na Flow as well and compare the results. Dye Na Flow will not offer the non-existent hand that dyes do, but they will offer a better fastness to light.
    anet