Anyone tried to make Kaki?
  • I removed pockets on some shorts for my son's school uniform. This left little faded areas where the threads pulled out. I dyed the navy ones with fantastic results. Now I am left with the kaki ones. Any experience with creating kaki? Also, it would be interesting to compose a complete list of colors people have made. Thanks
  • A simple solution would be to use a permanent fabric marker to color in the light spots, as described on my page on fixing bleach spots on clothing. To dye the whole garment, the easiest answer would be to buy a premixed packet of khaki-colored dye, if it's available. Some dye suppliers sell khaki-colored dye blends. Alternatively, Jacquard Products' color mixing chart for Procion MX dyes suggests using equal parts of Rust Orange (brown MX-GRN) and Turquoise (turquoise MX-G) to produce khaki. There are, of course, different shades of khaki, and different fabrics take dye differently, so there's no guarantee that any dye will match perfectly.

What is the fiber content on the shorts? It's much easier to dye cotton shorts than polyester shorts, though you can use iDye Poly on the stovetop for polyester. For cotton, a fiber reactive dye, such as Procion MX type dye, will produce the best results. Note that if the shorts are stain-resistant, they will dye poorly, because anything that resists stains will also resist dye.

Here's a link to several charts giving suggestions for how to mix colors: How can I mix Procion MX dyes to get specific colors?

Paula