Need help dying horse show pants please!
  • I bought a pair of horse show pants for my daughter that I tried to dye purple with the Jacquard acid dye. Pants are 80% nylon and 20% spandex. Started out tan. I used 3 packages in the washer, hot cycle, followed all instructions, etc. I've read that the spandex won't take the color, but I wanted to see how close I could get. I ended up with a pale purple shade that makes the pants look faded. I have one package of acid dye left. Should I try the stovetop method? Can anyone give me some options of what to do next? The pants don't look good enough to wear with the shirt, and of course, her show is a couple weeks away. Soon enough to make me nervous! Thanks for your help!
    Summer
  • Definitely try the stove top method. The nylon needs more heat that you can get with most hot water heaters. I think you'll be pleased with the results.

anet
  • Spandex is quite heat sensitive, and 20% of it in this garment is quite high a percentage to risk.

What's the maximum temperature listed on the care label for this garment? I'd be very, very cautious about going above this recommended temperature unless you don't care about the original elasticity of the fabric.

We've all seen what happens when the spandex in a garment finally blows out from being put in the dryer too often? Imagine that happening exponentially fast if you happen to boil it.

Just saying...

Darlene
  • Thanks, Darlene!
  • Darlene and Anet,
    Okay now I'm scared! Other than saying Handwash cold No bleach, the pants do not say a temperature. The pants were not adversly effected at all from dying on Hot in the washing machine, as far as I can tell. I did not wash or dry them after dying. Can you give me some details on how you would proceed with stove top dying if these were your daughters pants? Thank you in advance!
  • In my opinion, you will not be able to dye these pants to your satisfaction with acid dyes without adversely affecting the integrity of the spandex in the fabric.

As far as I know, there is no way to immersion dye nylon, with any other type of dye either, without the high heat required for the dyes to fix properly to the nylon component.

Your care label says cold water for a good reason, to make sure the riding pants keep their wonderfully fitted shape.

I know of no other option besides painting them with fabric paint. That might, or might not, be very satisfactory either!
  • Hi Summer,

Darlene makes a good point. The spandex is fairly delicate.
    The one fabric paint that comes to mind as a viable alternative to dyeing is Dye-Na-Flow. It is very light bodied and adds very little 'hand' to the fabric. It is also transparent, much like a dye, so would add a layer of color to that which is already there. It can be a bit tricky making the application in terms of keeping all your working edges wet. What would probably work best would be to wet the pants first and then work from one seam to another. You might want to do a test run on some different fabric to get a feel for the way the paint works.
    I hope I'm not making this sound too hard or scary - it really is a simple process and playing around with the paint on the different fabric will give you a good sense of how the paint will work.
    A couple of other points; the paint can be diluted up to 20 - 25% with water to give a more diluted shade of color and the paint is heat set with an iron or you can use our product Airfix with the paint and eliminate the heat setting. Airfix is added to the Dye-Na-Flow prior to application.
    anet