tinting screen printed image
  • I want to screen print a line drawing onto cotton t shirt fabric using black ink and then tint the image by hand - is this feasible? If it is, what type of dye is best, I want the finished tint to resemble watercolor. Is there a type of dye which doesn't need to be heat set? Thanks for any suggestions. Jude
  • Hey Jude,

Working on cotton you can use Procion MX as a "paint". There is the traditional method outlined at our instructions page, but that does require steaming.
    If you are feeling adventurous you could try a modified batch method similar to the process used when tie dyeing.
    After inking in your outline, soak the shirt in soda ash water for 20 minutes or so, wring it out, do your painting with the Procion MX dyes (pre mixed, use the recipe for Tie Dyeing - adjust your colors to the depth of shade you want by adding more water), jelly roll it all in plastic wrap (or otherwise ensure the piece will remain damp), let it set for 12 - 24 hours, rinse.
    I'd stronly recommend a test run so you have a chance to get a feel for the process. You might also want to take a look at Paula Burch's site - she covers many, many aspects of dyeing and has a wonderful forum for dyers, too.
    anet