Dyed cashmere still releasing overdye after 3 days
  • I'm new to working with acid dyes. I recently overdyed a cashmere sweater with Brilliant Blue acid dye following the instructions I found on this site. I used the stove top method and managed to avoid felting the sweater. I added vinegar as directed and let it simmer in the bath at ~190 degrees for 30 minutes before removing it from the heat. But I've been rinsing it for over 3 days in warm water both with and without adding Synthrapol and it is STILL turning the water blue.

Did I do something wrong? Is this normal? How long will it take for all the overdye to leech out?

Any help you can offer would be great!

Thanks,
    Barbara
  • Usually this happens when you do not get the water hot enough, but if you got it to 190 that is the correct temp.

How much dye was used? Was it the correct amount for the weight? This can happen when there is too much dye in the bath and no more can bind to the wool.

Usually the vinegar is good enough, but sometimes like this you need more. The permanent dyeset concentrate for the green label acid dyes will work and should stop the bleeding in its track. Add a capful to each gallon of water you are using to wash. It should stop the bleeding in seconds.

http://jacquardproducts.com/permanent-dyeset-concentrate.html

You will be able to find this anywhere they sell our silk colors