Any recommendations/tips for painting on Denim?
  • I tried some painting on a denim skirt over the weekend and found it really difficult to get the effect that I wanted. It's not really ideal to just keep testing on different items as I don't have that much denim hanging around spare!

I used the Neopaque paints but still found that I needed 3 coats to get decent coverage - is this normal?

The design also feels quite stiff so I'm wondering if working with the paints slightly dilute might help, would this affect the coverage though?

So, any tips please for painting on denim?

TIA :)
  • If the paint's not working out for you, an alternative would be to follow a two-step process.

First, use a Clorox Bleach Pen to draw your design, lightening the color of the indigo denim. When the color is lightened enough, wash it out, soak the fabric in Anti-Chlor or hydrogen peroxide for fifteen minutes to stop the destructive action of the bleach, and then wash the fabric again and dry it.

Second, use fabric paints or thickened Procion MX dye or fabric markers such as the Tee Juice Markers. These don't show up against dark denim, but they will show up beautifully on the lightened marks you have made, if the hypochlorite bleach lightened the color of the indigo denim enough.

It's so much easier to get the color you want without having to use a thick layer of paint, if you remove the color in the area of your design first.

Paula