Hello from Jacquard!
  • Hi! I'm Sue Stover and I work part-time here at Jacquard. My official title more or less here is Marketing/Imaging Associate, which just means I do a lot of different things. Things like designing craft projects and writing the how-to articles for magazines, technical support, photography, and working on the catalog and other promotional materials. I have both a Bachelors and a Masters degree in Fine Art and both degrees concentrated in Textiles. The other part of the time that I'm not at Jacquard, I try to do my own studio work. If you have a question specifically for me, please email me at [email="sue@jacquardproducts.com"]sue@jacquardproducts.com[/email]!
  • Hello Sue,
    I am just starting to investigate silk screening - I've read a number of articles on "how to's". One problem I'm having in reading is I cannot figure out how to exacting apply the paint to the fabric. I have purchased silk screens, I have the paint, I understand mixing the paint with shaving cream - but how do you literally apply the paint from the screen to the fabric.

Thanks

twojays42
  • Hi there! Last time I got cut off, so I'll try to may my 2 Q's quick..,:-)
    1) Where did you get your BA and MA (or BFA and MFA?) I'm hugely interested in more in-depth textile stuff, I'd love to know what are considered the 'good' schools for it......
    2) I was looking at the PearlEx pigments at the art store the other day, but I couldn't find any tech sheets or color charts or anyone who knew anything specific about them. I'd like to replace my metallic enamel paint that I'm using on some 3-D forms. (They're constructed of wood and styrofoam.) I use acrylics for my non-metallic colors. I like them for their opacity, flow and ultimate waterproof-ness. Same with the enamels, except that they must be thinned (and my brushes cleaned) with xylene, which is noxious. My little studio space is down the basement and not able to be vented very well. So I thought I'd try some of your dry pigments mixed into an acrylic binder. BUT.....which binder seems to work best, will the mix clean up with water as well as reg. acrylic paints, and how to I get a color type chart (OK, it doesn't have to be as extensive as Pantone) to help me mix the shade/hue/tint that I need without wasting huge amounts of money and time starting at 'ground zero' experimenting. :-) Thanks for any help!!! My 'snail' address is: Petrena Voelker 1977 Bradley Rd., Westlake, OH 44145 (if anyone has an extra 'hard copy')
  • Do the inkjet cotton fabric sheets need to be ironed on once they are peeled from the paper?
  • Dear Sue,

Thanks for your offer to help with questions!

Unlike most of the people on this forum, who seem to be way beyond the novice stage, I just tackle the basic designs with tie-dyeing. I have the book your web site sells on Tie-Dye and Batik Designs, but I'd like to move on. I like the design of the shirt on the Procion MX Dyes web page. How is it done? What are good resources on instructions? If free, it's best:)

Thank you very much!
    Lisa
    [email="celestial_creations@yahoo.com"]celestial_creations@yahoo.com[/email]
  • I'm not familiar with using shaving cream and paint. I am imagining that it helps to lighten the texture and consistency of the paint to make it smoother and more like an ink, and therefore easier to spread evenly. However, I am familiar with silk screening.

For those who are not familiar with the set up for a silk screen printing, the frame is set up with a fine silk stretched across a frame that is hinged onto a board used to stabilize the textile or paper on which the artist is going to print. The artist places a resist on the screen (there are various types) which will block the ink from printing in certain areas. It can be printed as an additive or subtractive printing, using successive screens with differing resists and making sure the alignment of the image is the same (register) so the images will line up.

To answer your specific question ;) , the most common way of transferring the conditioned paint/ink from the top of the screen through the screen is by using a squeegee. The squeegee will fit wider than the image, and often will reach from one side of the frame to the other. The ink is pulled in one direction (usually toward you) in one continuous, even pressured and slow movement. Squeegees can be anything from a professional wooden and rubber squeegee that is held with two hands and fits most hands and fingers, much like a windshield wiper attached to a thick wooden handle for ease of even pressure and even sweep across the frame. Others prefer to use a disposable squeegee made out of corrugated cardboard. It depends upon your experience, the size of your image (if you are using a small area of the screen and a small amount of ink, a small piece of cardboard may save time, money, and energy), and available resources.

For specifics, I suggest visiting any good books on printmaking, positive and negative space, additive color, and in particular - silk screen printing. Of course, a class, extension service at a college, research on line, or visiting a studio can only add to your enjoyment.

Have fun! I'm sorry I wasn't available to answer your questions earlier, but I've just found this site!
    Elizabeth
  • It is so nice, not to mention valuable, to have such an educated, and talented person (actually all of you here) to help a fabric novice like me through the mist and haze of an unfamiliar medium. My degree is in art, not art AND textiles, so I have much to learn. My experience with textile coloration is small and long ago.
    It is a true privilage to use this site. Not all artists are so willing to pass on their wisdom and "secrets"!
    Amazing!
    Thank You!!!
    :D
  • Hello, I use Jacquard acid dyes for dyeing silk thread for my weaving. I have seen a color mixing chart for the procionmx dyes and wondered if you had anything like that for acid dyes? Or, ideally (;-)) a recipe book with samples! I am also looking for technical sheets for the acid dyes (listing fastness, exhaustion, etc.) And, lastly (I promise!) I am interested in any information you have on the discharge properties of the acid dyes.

Thanks very much for any help you can provide,
    Heather McGilvray
    Artisan Weaver
    www.heathermcgilvray.com
  • Hello,
    I will look into this for you. I am currently unaware of the existence of such detailed information for our Acid Dyes. However, there may be something out there that I don't know about. I will contact you when I find out more.
    Celia
  • I have fabric painted for years, but always used delta acrylic paints with an additive to adhere to the fabric. I also used their fabric dyes.

I recently purchased a started pack of the Dye-na Flow to try. I didn't want to purchase a large number till I saw if I liked it. I am wondering if there is a color chart for the Dye Na Flow to mix some of the colors I have to get more of a variety.
  • I saw a guest on Carol Duvall that mixed the color into the discharge paist. It took away the color of the fabric and replaced it with the color she had mixed it with. She was using velvet. I don't know if it could be used on any other product, but the directions should be on HGTV.
  • I am a silk painter and am looking for printers that will digitally print my work onto silk in small quantities. I was given the name of a printer in California but I live in Dallas, TX. Are there any printers in the Texas area? Just wanting to know. Maybe you or someone else at Jacquard could let me know.
    Thank you
  • Hi,
    Call our Customer Servise 1800 442 0455. We sell rolls of silk to these printers. Perhaps they can give you the contact details for one near you.
    Celia
  • Hi to everyone on the forums.
    I am a total novice at fabric/textile art. My closet experience is dying some sheets in a washing machine about 40 years ago!!! BUT .... I have always sewed and done craft work. Now I make cloth dolls. Have been doing this for about 10 years .... soooo ... I figured it is time I learn how to create my OWN fabric color to suit MY goals ...rather then just relying on finding some piece of fabric in a shop that will "do" the job!!!

So to this end I bought myself a set of Jaquard Dynaflo paints and have totally ruined two perfectly good dolls!!! Not sure what I did wrong. I think maybe I got too heavy handed ( gee not me surely) and didn't give the pain time to bleed thru as it should have ( AND DID) !!! hahahahaha Gawd Patty please don't read this! ( YOu don't remember but I met you at a craft fair in Perth a few years ago!)

Anyway ... here I am to see what I can see .. as the bear said on his way over the mountain!

Ciao..... Tink
  • Hi,

Dye-N-Flow is very fluid as you have noticed. Painting on to a padded or formed fabric is difficult and doesn't always produce uniform results because the backing or padding will absorb the paint and may cause blotches. The best piece of advice I can give you is to paint the fabric before making the doll. If that is not possible, then paint dryly to avoid saturation of the padding or fabric support.

Celia.
    PS. Which Perth did you go to? I went to college in Dundee and used to live 15 miles from the one in Scotland!
  • Hi Celia!! :)

Thanx for responding ... that is what I thought must have happened .. ie: spread thru from the filling! Oh well i know what NOT to do now! hahaha

Perth Western Australia. Have never had a chance to get to Scotland but it is on my "to do" list! Patty Culea did a workshop at a craft fair here and sort of fueled the fire of my desire to try something new. Hey if Patty can do it so can I!! Well I can try ... right? lol

Always looks sooo easy when you see someone else doing it. You just have to force yourself to remember that these people have been doing it for years oft-times and what you see is the result of theor long hard work ... not their first attempts!!

Will try again sooooon! Once I re-birth these two poor dollies in a new and different color ( I think I am just gonna dip them in some deep hued dye!)

Cheers
    Tink
  • Dear Susan,

I am lookig for a source for silk scarves. I got a silk painting kit from a friend but no scarves. I can find the "nubby" silk at fabric stores but not the kind you see on tv craft shows or in the stores. I would need about 5yds. as I may wish to just play around with the paint and silk. Perhaps a department store would have what I need but I always hesitate to buy from them as I do not always know what the fabric has been treated with and if it will wash out, and also because they are expensive and I hate to spend my craft money on a new endevour untill I am sure I can really love'n it. Thank you. doll maker
  • Hi,

Here is a link to our stores list.

http://www.jacquardproducts.com/stores/

You can also access this via the STORES link at the top of the page.

Celia
  • Hi, Sue,
    For estimating yardage: should I count on slight shrinkage with immersion dyes on spun silk taffeta?
    Thanks,
    Lynn
  • Sue,

I am a muralist/artist but am new to silk painting. The extent of my experience is the purchase of a Jacquard silk scarf and a small silk dye set to experiment with.
    I have been challenged in a big way to create some large 3' x 5' or 4' x 8' silk banners for the church I attended as a child. While I am excited about this new medium to explore, it also scares me to death!:confused:
    First of all, what type and weight of silk would you recommend for such a large banner? My thought is that I would need something a little heavier weight than the 8mm habotai that I experimented with. Also, I probably would not want much if any texture which might interfere with the flow of the dyes.
    Secondly, I would like to use a resist technique, but the gutta I experimented with quickly clogged the small bottle and tip that was included in my "kit." Any other tools or methods you might suggest for larger work?
    Lastly, is there a way that dyes and gutta can be ordered online in larger bottles/individual colors?

Would appreciate any help you can give!

Thanks!
    Beth:)
  • do you have any 'how to make quilt squares' instructions with the inkject printing cotton sheets?
  • Hi,
    Sorry this post was missed by us. Unfortunately the only instructions we have currently are found at this link.
    http://www.jacquardproducts.com/products/kits/inkjet/
    I undersatnd that Cindy Walters books are very good and incorporate inkjet.
    Celia
  • Hi - try:

The Silk Connection - links from this website

dharmatrading.com - not only fabrics, but tons of finished clothing blanks, dyes, books - you name it!

Thai Silks - both undyed and dyed silks, in yardage and finished scarves