Steam setting Dye-Na-Flow or steam setting acrylic paints
  • I am creating a silk painting with Jacquard Red Label dyes on 12mm Habotai Silk.
    I did not plan the whites out very well and my highlights are non-existent.
    I bought some discharge paste but I can't figure out how to use it without washing my dyes out as well.
    So I figured maybe acrylics or DNF for the highlights but how will they act in the steamer?
    I could not find anything on the forums :o(
    Any and all help is very much appreciated! God Bless! :o)
  • This is a good question. The answer is that you should steam first! Then the dyes will be permanent, and you can add discharge paste after to remove the color without affecting the other color you don't want to discharge.

It is the same answer if you use Dye-na-flow. It would be better not to add it before you steam. Steam can actually interfere with the adhesion of the paint. Painting after with Dye-na-flow will work much better and then you can heat set with a dry iron.

Keep in mind that white Dye-na-flow is transparent, so that while you can create highlights with it, it does not cover very well.
  • Well, I want to incorporate Pearl EX to the silk by using it in my feathers. Would I fix the Pearl EX the same way as the DNF, using the hot, dry iron?
    After all of these steps the silk will end up varnished to a canvas! Lol!
    Thank you for your generous time in responding to my queries. If the Pearl EX can be heat set by a dry iron as the DNF, my steps will become clearer and I'll be HaPpY :o)
    Thank you so much for your kindness! And sharing your knowledge and experience with us all!!!
    Thank you again!
  • The pearl ex does not have any binder. that means it is just dry pigment that won't stick unless you mix it with something. You can mix it with Dye-na-Flow or you can use Lumiere paints which are Pearl ex+Binder. You can make your own lumiere colors from Neopaque extender and pearl ex colors not available as Lumiere. There are a lot of ways to apply the pearl ex, but just heating them will not make them stick.
  • Thank you for your time and advice! God Bless!
  • If I mix gum arabic, Pearl EX with Jacquard red label dyes, paint them on the silk (12mm Habotai) and finally steam set, will the Pearl EX still be on the silk?
    I'm trying to achieve iridescence on green feathers and on black feathers for a hummingbird.
    I have painted the dye on first and then put Pearl EX on top of the dye on the silk.
    I've also mixed Pearl EX with water to make a paste-like 'goo?' and painted that onto the dye on the silk; I just have not steam set any of these.
    I'm just wondering if anyone has been able to keep the Pearl EX on the silk after steaming?
    Sorry so many questions. :o)
    Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time. God Bless!
  • Gum Arabic is not permanent. It would likely re-wet and fall off the silk. You need something more permanent to keep that pearl ex on. I would suggest our permanent clear resist or the clear gutta resist. Either will be more permanent than gum arabic.
  • Thank you, I'll try that. Thank you for being so patient with me and all of my questions. God Bless!