Water Based Resist
  • I've been reading about this product and wonder if it works on other fabrics as well as silk?

I'm doing a lot of t-shirt painting at the moment (just started my own little internet shop in the UK, yay!) and certain colours seem to bleed more than others.

Would the Resist help solve this problem? If not, is there something else I can try?

• Water based resists are great for some things, and they do work on cotton and rayon. Don't apply the resist before immersing in soda ash or dye, because the resist will wash away. Use small enough amounts of dye that you don't wash away the resist with the dye. If you're using fiber reactive dyes on cotton, consider adding the soda ash directly to the dye, no more than a few minutes before painting, instead of soaking the fabric in soda ash.

If you don't like your dyes to spread so far, in dye painting or in tie-dyeing, you should experiment with thickeners. See my page on Sodium alginate, Superclear, and other dye thickeners. For mail-order sources in the UK, look at my page of Sources for Dyeing Supplies Around the World.

Paula