I want Robin's Egg or Tiffany Blue, Ivory base fabric
  • Hi,
    I am new to this, so bear with me. I have 2 outdoor chaise lounge cushion covers that appear to be plain ivory cotton. I have washed them in warm (about 85 degree) water and they did not shrink. I do not believe they have any outdoor treatment on them, judging from how nasty they looked after just one winter outside. I would like them to be a Tiffany or Robin Egg blue, but am worried a bit about the fact that they are ivory with a yellowish cast rather than pure white. Sould I choose a "blue-er" color that will become Robin's egg when combined with the ivory, or just use the Robin Egg color? Once done, should I Scotch Guard them or is there a better weather proofing solution? They are on my covered balcony facing the ocean, so lots of salt and dust, possible mildew. Thanks for any help! I also have some outdoor cushions that are ivory. These have some kind of weather proofing. Can they be dyed? I believe they are cotton as well. All are from bali. Thanks!
  • Hi there,

In as much as you are not certain the covers are cotton and given that there is a good likelihood that they have been treated even though they didn't fair so well through the winter outside you may be better off considering our Dye-Na-Flow paints rather than the Procion MX dye. (whew! what a sentence!) The Dye-Na-Flow is certainly your best bet with the treated fabric. You will find lots of information about the two different options on their pages.
    As to your question regarding the effect of underlying color - it is true that underlying color is going to affect the end result. Your idea of going to a bluer blue is a good one. This would hold true for the Dye-Na-Flow as well.
    Testing is always a good idea!
    anet
  • You will not be able to dye the items that already have some sort of weatherproofing. The finish that repels weather will also repel all dyes, as well as fabric paints such as Dye-Na-Flow. I agree with Anet that the non-weatherproofed items are more likely to work well with fabric paint than with dye, since you don't know the fiber content.

To weatherproof the cushions after dyeing, don't use the regular Scotchguard that is only supposed to confer stain resistance. it's better to use a DWR (Durable Water Repellent) finish such as Nikwax waterproofing.

Paula