LWI and black acid dye
  • One more question tonight. I have had a request for a black and bright red marbled veil. I have done well with other colors by folding and scrunching via low water immersion technique, however, the jet black is driving me crazy. I have tried adjusting downward the ratio of black to red, but am getting ill-defined colors and muddying. The black is turning many colors which I guess is the different colors in the black mixing with the red. I tried dyeing the veil a solid red color first (using an unmixed red) but the black still overtook everything. Lots of purple going on. Any tips toward success would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • Some black dyes are mixtures of several colors; others are single-hue unmixed dyes. A dye that is a mixture will work perfectly for high water ratio immersion dyeing, but will split apart into multiple colors in low water immersion, or, if used for direct painting, might get a halo of a different color around the edges.

Among the cotton dyes which can also be used on silk and wool (with appropriate changes in the recipes), all of the Procion MX blacks are mixtures, and the Jacquard Vinyl Sulphon is probably a mixture, but the Jacquard Red Label Silk Colors (which work well on cotton as well as silk, given the right recipe) include a single-hue unmixed black, like the ProChem Liquid Reactive black. You can see a comparison of the very different effects of low water immersion with a mixed black versus an unmixed black on my page Black Dyes: mixtures and single-color blacks.

Among acid dyes, I'm afraid that the Jacquard Acid Black is indeed a mixture. Your single-color unmixed black alternatives for use on wool and silk include the Jacquard Red Label Silk Color Black (a reactive dye that works well on silk and wool) and the ProChem or Ciba WashFast Acid Jet Black. Another alternative is the Lanaset Jet Black, which is a mixture of two black dyes that do not split apart from each other in use. (I try not to mention the non-Jacquard brands here, out of respect for the fact that this is a Jacquard forum, but, in this case, it gives a fuller picture to mention all of the alternatives.)

Paula
  • Thanks so much. Prior to posting, I had not yet found your page on black dyes. I will go there and read it now and make the appropriate changes to get the results that I want. You are nothing short of brilliant. Your answers are complete, succint, and a godsend.