Info/hints for microwave setting of acid dyes
  • I have read Ms. Burch's article on low water immersion dyeing and have been successful by fixing dyes with glass jar in water bath. The microwaving in her technique is for fiber reactive dyes. Is it also possible to set Jacquard acid dyes on silk with the microwave method? It has been discussed elsewhere, but would like to know opinion of Jacquard and others. What time frame would be required to set dye? I would guess not the 30 minutes minimum required in water bath. I hope I am not being redundant. I searched "microwave" and did not find specific answer to my questions. Thanks again everyone.
  • Hi there,

While we don't have an official position for using the microwave with Acid Dyes I'm sure it's been done.
    My own experience with Procion Dyes suggest that just a few minutes in the microwave would be plenty with the Acid Dyes. Immerse or paint your fabric, jelly roll wrap in plastic wrap (make sure your ends are closed up) and then microwave. I'd start with one minute, then two, etc. until you are satisfied the dyes are fixing.

hope this helps
    anet