• Hi
    I upholster furniture and love painting--but have never tried painting on fabrics. Now I have a dilemma. I painted a room, and re-upholstered a sofa, and now I need a fabric that combines the sofa colors and three paint colors in adjoining rooms. I have searched and searched and cannot find exactly the shades I want--so I want to create some fabric with the colors I want to make new valances.

I could just buy some white cotton duck, or muslin, or twill, or silk taffeta? What? Any ideas on the kinds of fabrics that accept paint well? I want to create a very detailed design, florals, or checks, or plaids, not tie-dye. I don't have air-brush equipment, or skill to do it. (I'm pretty good at painting on canvas--but controlling a brushstroke on twill would be tough.)

Where do I start? Can I buy fabric paints that I can mix myself to get the right shades? Are there books to help me?
  • Hi there,

Any of the fabrics you listed would work well for fabric painting. The tighter weave fabrics will give you more control in terms of how the paint will flow through the fabric.
    The paints that will work well for you are Textile Traditionals, these are a medium bodied simi-opaque paint, also the Lumiere & Neopaque line will work well. They are a slightly heavier bodied opaque paint & the Lumiere paints offer a selection of metalics and pearlescents. The Dye-Na-Flow paints are a very light bodied transparent paint and work well, but do flow very easily over the fabrics so could present some control issues unless you used a resist medium like our Water Based Resist. Lots of choices, I know, but take a look at each of the paint pages at the web site and you'll get an idea of what is possible with them.
    Our book "How to Paint with Jacquard" is a very good resource. There is also a great article in the current issue of CraftStylish magazine which shows how to use stencils to paint fabric. It is the issue with the cute little black dress on the front - the article is called Chair Lift. Diane Ericson is the author and we have a DVD available which shows her technique.
    hope this helps
    anet
  • Okay--you've piqued my interest--but are there any classes or instructional DVD's around? Pretty scary to try to learn from a book.
  • I don't know of any classes off the top of my head - your local community center or community college might offer a class in surface techniques. There is the DVD by Diane Ericson which is very informative. I suspect, with a little research you'll find classes and DVD's that can help.

anet