?Washfastness of acid dye on silk?
  • Me again. Sorry this is probably a stupid question re: the washfast property of acid dyes on silk. Does the the washfast aspect not truly happen until the fabric is completely dried for the first time?? I understand the hydrogen bond and all that, and that different colors have different washfast ratings. So I am wondering if I am forcing out too much of the color with overzealous rinsing and the continuous presence with water. My lovely hot fuscia veil slowing bled out to a pale pink in the rinse out and post-wash. And when I steamed and ironed my other silk scarves (after fully drying) I had no release of color onto my underlying cloth on ironing board, and only a faint blush in scant places for the Jacquard crimson silk. Thanks again for satisfying my curiosity. You guys are just great. And Ms. Burch's website is an invaluable resource. Take care.
  • Hi,

You mentioned steaming was that with an iron or was it with a steamer? Here are our steaming instruction. This could be an option for you. Sometimes water quality can affect the dyes as well.

Celia

Steaming

Steaming requires more time, but the color yield is very intense. There are commercial steamers available or smaller pieces can be steamed at home with the following method. You will need a large pot with a rack that fits inside, white newsprint, masking tape, and aluminum foil.

Roll the fabric in newsprint, making sure there is a layer of paper between each roll of fabric. The paper should extend a few inches beyond the fabric on either end of the roll.
    When all the fabric has been rolled, wrap newsprint around the bundle a few extra times. Secure the roll by taping length of roll. Coil gently to a size that will fit into the pot. Tape securely.
    Place rack into the pot. Pour water to a level that is well below the bottom of the rack. Make sure top of rack is dry and place bundle on the rack.
    Shape a piece of aluminum foil into a dome and place it over the bundle for protection. This will keep condensation from dripping on the silk. Make sure neither the packet nor the foil touches the sides of the pot.
    Cover the pot with the lid. Place the pot on the stove and bring water to a boil. Reduce the heat but keep it high enough to produce steam. Steam the packet for 1 hour. Allow packet to cool. Unwrap the silk and rinse in cool water to remove excess dye. Lay flat to dry and you're done