Anyone used Pinata on Cotton Blends and Polyester
  • I've used every product jacquard has for painting or stamping on fabric but none have stood up to more than a few washing, even hand-washing. I heat set by steam iron with 3 sessions , not washing for at least a week, and still it doesn't set properly.

I thought maybe the alcohol based pinata's might work on these Cotton Blends better.

Anyone have any experience or hints?

Does the Pinata have to be heat set as well to last?
    Should it be a steaming heat or dry heat?

I know that if you get a regular pen mark on your clothes and then dryer it, the stain is nearly impossible to get out without dry cleaning. Will this theory work on clothes as well?

I use cotton/blends but lately it is harder not to get fabric that is more synthetic in percentage than natural, so I am interested as well to see if these will work on man-made fabrics as well like polyester, acrylics, acetates?

Thanks in advance for any help.
  • The Piñata inks are not intended for use on porous surfaces or clothing that will be washed. Use fabric paint, instead.

I've had Jacquard Textile Colors wear off fairly quickly in the laundry, because I applied the paint thickly and washed without taking special care to avoid abrasion, but the thinner paints such as Dye-Na-Flow and Lumiere last well, with care.

Do not put water in your steam iron when setting; you want a dry heat to set fabric paints. Set the iron very hot, as hot as the fabric can stand, or heat-set in a commercial laundromat dryer (home dryers do not get hot enough). Always turns garments inside-out to wash them, and if you use the washing machine, use a delicate cycle only, and put the items into a lingerie bag to reduce the wear.

The Jacquard paints are supposed to work on synthetic fibers as well as natural fibers, but it would be worthwhile to do a test to make sure they work on your fabrics. You won't get good results if you try to paint something that has surface finishes, such as stain-resistant or water-resistant finishes. A lot of nylons have problematic finishes.

Paula
  • While Pinata should probably not be used on fabrics, be sure to wash all fabrics or clothing prior to painting using a dye and perfume free detergent and run the extra rinse option. If you are experiencing paint loss after washing, it may be from not washing beforehand or possibly from using a detergent that leaves residue (such as perfumes) or a dryer sheet which will leave both waxy residue and perfumes. Even if you do not use these on that particular load, when dryer sheets are used in previous loads, the residue will build up on the dryer drum and then transfer to your fabrics. In order for fabric paints to be truly permanent, there must be no sizing or formaldehyde (manufacturers put these on both clothing and fabric to keep them shaped nice and dust free) and also no laundry residue.