Mixing up the Dye
  • I have been using ~1-1.5 teaspoons to a cup of water to mix than adding more water until ~32 ozs. I also add around the same amount of urea to the dye while mixing. My colors are coming out in the rinse and wash steps. I thought the urea wash to help the dye stay in the fabric. I also soda ash soak the fabric before dying. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance,
    DVPratz
  • ...a couple of questions first. Are you tie dying? If so are you allowing the pieces to rest for 12 - 24 hours prior to the rinse out?

anet
  • Unless your 32 ounces is the total volume of a dyebath (in which you're stirring your pieces for an hour), you're using too much water and too little dye. If you're tie-dyeing, as your choice of forum suggests, that's not nearly enough dye. Find a good recipe and follow it! (Here's one.)

Urea is a humectant, which serves to retain moisture while the dyes are reacting. It does not set the dye. The dyes are set by the reaction of the fabric with the dye in the presence of soda ash. Be sure you keep your wet dyed fabric in a warm place (70°F or higher) overnight for the dye reaction to complete. Also, use only 100% natural fibers, such as 100% cotton, or viscose rayon, and do not try to dye anything that is water resistant or stain resistant.

Paula