Dyeing Petersham Ribbon with Acid dye
  • Please can I have some advice on how to dye a small quantity (1m) of cotton based Petersham Ribbon with Jacquard Acid Bath dyes. I failed miserably this weekend and have a very light pink (rather than bright fire red) strip of ribbon as the dye came straight out.
    This is the method I used: Mix 1teaspoon dye into 1 cup water and heated in the microwave until boiling. Added the 1m of prewashed wet ribbon. Left to stand for 30 mins - popping back into the microwave every 10 mins to reheat to keep it hot. The ribbon looked orangey red at this point. After 30 mins I then added 1 tablespoon of white vinegar to the mix. I left this for a further 20 mins then removed the ribbon and plunged into warm water. The ribbon quickly faded as the colour washed out.
    Please help! I'm using fired red dye.
  • Hi Mollie,

The biggest problem with your method is the Acid Dye. Acid Dyes are specifically designed for use with protein fibers (silk, wool, cashmere) and nylon and do not do much more than stain anything else. For the quantity you are dying I'd recommend Procion MX dyes. They are a cold water fiber reactive dye used with soda ash as a fixative. Check out the page here: http://jacquardproducts.com/procion-mx.html and the instructions and if you have additional questions please be sure to let us know.

annette