Can I use Procion MX dyes w/ vinegar to paint directly on wool felt?
  • Hi - I am a dyeing novice, and I just bought a bunch of Jacquard Procion MX dyes to use to paint/squirt dye directly on wool felt. The store where I bought these did not have Jacquard acid dyes, but seemed to think I could use the Procion MX dyes on wool if I added vinegar to the dyes. So my questions are:
    1. Can I use Procion MX dyes to dye wool felt if I mix vinegar into the dyes?
    2. Do I need to use soda ash and synthrapol to prep the wool felt before I dye it with the Procion MX dyes?
    3. Do I need to "fix" the dyes with any chemicals after I finish the dyeing?
    Any help would be very much appreciated! Thanks! -Elaine
  • Hi,

Yes you can use MX dyes with wool by adding vinegar.

Here is the link to the immersion dyeing instructions. Protein based fiber instructions are listed on there.

http://www.jacquardproducts.com/products/dyes/procionmx/instructions1.php

If the wool is not ready to dye you can do the following to remove any impurities.

Scouring and preparing fabric to color with dye

By machine washing in HOT 140oF (60oC) water, or by hand in a pot on the stove with ½ tsp (2 gm) Soda Ash and ½ tsp (2.5 ml) Synthrapol per pound of fabric (454 gm, or 3 to 4 yards cotton muslin, or 8 yards 8mm China Silk, or 3 Medium T-shirts, or 1 sweatshirt).

Rinse thoroughly.

This step does not add the dye fixative to the fabric; it prepares your fabric for dyeing by removing any dirt, oil or sizing.

Celia