Dyeing a 100% polyester wedding dress
  • Hi, I'm looking to dye my 100% polyester wedding dress and had a few questions:

1) Will the 50L stainless steel pot that is available in the closeouts section fit on a normal kitchen stove? (http://jacquardproducts.com/closeouts.html) Or would that need to be put on some sort of outdoor gas stove?

2) The dress has some metal hooks and bars (similar to the waist on men's pants), should these be removed before dying? I don't know what kind of metal they are so I don't know if they will react with the iDye Poly.

3) The metal hooks/bars are on there because I actually had the skirt of the dress separated from the top (so they hook back together and you can wear it with different/shorter skirts). Would you advise dying the top and bottom separately (to have more flow in the pot) or would that result in different shades?

4) There is a tulle overlay on the dress, which I verified with the manufacturer that it is also polyester. Will this tulle dye the same as the poly satin underneath or is that just kind of an unknown for different textures/types of the same fiber?

I wanted to dye it black as I think that's the best bet and if it turns out a dark gray that's fine by me. :) I know poly is kind an unpredictable animal, but any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!
  • are there any real people left in this forum or is it all spam???
  • HI Bunnie,

We are here - it just is a bit of a wade to get through the spam to you folks that have real questions...
    To your questions:
    1. I use an outdoor single burner propane stove when I use my big 50L pot. It does fit on my stove but not well.
    2. To be on the safe side removing the hooks and bars is not a bad idea although I suspect they'd be just fine through the dye process.
    3. Best to dye the two pieces together - and if you are using the 50L pot room is not going to be an issue.
    4. As you suggest - the two different types of polyester may take the dyes differently - although I've had some lovely results with that serendipitous effect.
    Black is a good safe way to go. So long as you use the correct amount of dye you shouldn't have any problems getting to a good deep tone.

annette