Sludge in my Dye Stock
  • I have been having an issue with several of my Jacquard Acid dye stocks with sediment settling out. With my triad dyeing and color matching that I do, I am having problems with consistent colors using Gold Ochre.

I have tried shaking up the contents of the container to create a heterogenous mixture and then pouring into the graduated cylinder.

First, I make a small dyed yarn sample. I take my stirred up dye stock and pour some into a cup. I then use a syringe to take a small amount of dye to mix with other colors to dye my sample.

I then use the ratio of my small amount of dye to the sample weight to determine the amount of dye stock to use for a full skein of yarn.

The yarn I dyed today is much more yellow than the sample.

Any suggestions?

Peggy
  • Are you heating the stock to resolublize? Acid dyes will fall out of solution over time but heating them will fix that.

anet
  • snip>Are you heating the stock to resolublize? Acid dyes will fall out of solution over time but heating them will fix that.

Anet, I was looking for directions on how to do this last night. Is there a specific way that I should attempt this or heat away? I could do it in the microwave or heat a glass jar in a pot of water. Is there a temperature that I should not go over?

Peggy
  • Reheating in either a double boiler type method or in the microwave is fine - and you probably won't need alot of heat - just below a simmer should do it.

anet
  • I have continued to think about this and the current thought is evaporation loss which will change my DOS. It may be that I would need to cover a jar with plastic wrap and microwave in bursts to try to retain the water. Some of my dye stocks are 3 and 5% and a loss of water could change the strength and color significantly.

The color matching is a challenge that I love. I just hope to be able to get this figured out!

Blessings,

Peggy