4 pounds of fabric?
  • i want to dye a couch cover (100% cotton) that i bought from ikea... it weighs four pounds and so i'm wondering how that shifts the numbers given in the immersion dyeing instructions... would i have to dye it in a bath of 12 gallons?!? (instructions say 3 gallons for 1 pound of fabric)... and i'm planning on probably using a darker color dye - i.e. dark blue, black, dark gray... does anyone know how much dye and other materials (soda ash, etc) i should be using?

i'm worried about dilluting the dye too much if i use that much water and as this will be my first big dye job i'm just generally skiddish and worried about messing it up...

would i use like a barrel to dye it in? i assume i can't just do it in my bathtub b/c that would stain, right? but i don't have a washing machine either so i'm guessing that i'll have to buy a big plastic bin of some sort...

any helpful suggestions, guides, steps, tips, anything would be great.
  • Hi,
    Depending on the color one bottle of MX dye will dye about 2lbs of fabric. You'll need enough water to cover the fabric. The more you add the weaker the color concentration becomes. MX may stain plastic baths but enamel shoud be OK. You may wish to try our idye its washing machine friendly and very easy to use. http://www.jacquardproducts.com/products/dyes/idye/
    Celia
  • okay so i just need enough water to cover the fabric? not necessary 3 gallons per pound? and if one bottle is good for 2 pounds, then i should put 2 bottles for the 4 pounds of fabric i'm dyeing...

also, i don't have a washing machine (or a pot big enough to boil the fabric) so i couldn't use that idye product...
  • In the past several years I have seen large plastic containers the size of the old metal washtubs. Of course, I've also seen metal washtub style things in garden departments. I'd go look around at department stores like Target, or home supply stores like Home Depot or Lowe's.