Keeping dye overnight
  • I am embarking on my first batik experience and I want to test some colors. I would hate to waste the dyes I mix up today (especially b/c I'm on the starving student budget) so I was wondering how long the dye will keep and if it should be refridgerated or anything like that.

I am also wondering what the concentration would be for mixing a small test batch of 8 to 16oz.? I will do the math but maybe it is different?

Thanks. Katie
  • Hi Katie,
    The Procion MX dyes (I'm making an assumption here) will keep for up to 2 weeks in solution, (as long as you haven't mixed in any soda ash as in the activated dye method--only lasts for a couple of hours at most---many people don't like that method at all) and it is good to keep them cool. If you have a small ice chest you can put them in--with some ice of course--it would be better than putting them in the fridge, as we encourage people to keep all dye stuffs separate from food stuffs.:)

As for the concentration. Do the math, keep good notes with color swatches and make adjustments from there. The more you experiment and the more experience you gain, the easier it will be for you to get consistent results.

Most of all, remember, it's a great adventure! Have fun!

Noelle
  • Hi Noelle

I'm trying a batik project with my high school students. You mentioned that many people don't like the "soda ash activated dye method". Is there another way? I'd like to be able to mix dyes for my students to use over a week or two. Is that possible? I know I soaked shirts in a soda ash mixture before dying when we tye-dyed. Would that work for immersion dying for batik? I've never done batik before and this is all an experiment for me! I'd appreciate any advice!
    Thanks,
    Tami
  • Hi Tami,

Here is the link to the Procion page. Look at the tabs across the top for instructions on different methods. http://www.jacquardproducts.com/products/dyes/procionmx/
    I've heard from one or two folks that they feel the activated dye method does not yield as bright colors as the soda ash soak. Activated dye does not last as long because the chemicals begin to react with each other as soon as you put them together.
    You can mix dyes in a concentrated form then thin them out as your students need them---kept in a cool dark place they can last for several weeks.
    As for more specific questions on batik, let me refer you to Paula Burch's site. She has great information there. http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/dyelog/B1063361308/C1093657698/index.html

Let us know how things turn out!

Noelle