advice re: washing dyed shirts
  • Is there any way to avoid washing tie-dyed shirts, in a washing machine, upon completion of the dying process?
    My situation is: I am running arts & crafts at a summer camp. I have 80 total kids (so 80 dyed shirts). The kids are in groups of 12 and I have plenty of help from high-school students. Supposedly they have tie-dyed every year at the camp but do not wash the shirts after the dying (I assume they've only rinsed the shirts). Is there any "safe" way to avoid washing the shirts in a washing machine? We have access to sinks and showers only. I'd hate to send home the shirts unwashed but am not sure logistically how to wash so many shirts.
    ps- what type of "liquid" soap works best with the Jacquard dyes?
  • Hi there,

If you send the shirts home without running them through a machine wash you'll certianly want to send along instructions to the family to wash the shirts separately before they are worn. We recommend using Synthrapol dyers detergent for the first wash, but so long as one is careful to wash the newly dyed piece separately any good liquid detergent will work.
    For an extra bit of care you could, after the children do the initial rinses, put the shirts in a soap soak. Use 2 to 3 gallons of very hot tap water and 1 1/2 teaspoons of Synthrapol, add the garments and let sit in this soap bath for 5 to 10 minutes. Rinse 3 or 4 additional times with warm water.
    Hope this helps.
    anet