• Hi,
    Sorry if this is obvious but I've surfed the site and forum and some places it mentions using salt with MX dyes, (I know I've used salt in classes too,) however I can't seem to find any directions as to how much to use by fabric weight, tsp of soda ash, dye or anything.
    Thanks loads to anyone who can help,
    H
    PS Is there a method where you pre-soak the fabric in soda ash solution then squirt/paint/pour on the dye? As you can see I'm very confused, so thanks for any help.
  • You need to use salt when dyeing a solid color with a large volume of water, because otherwise not all of the dye will manage to find the fabric. Use about three cups of salt per pound of fabric, in three gallons of water; for best results, find a good recipe and follow it closely. Salt is optional in low water immersion dyeing, and usually not used for dye painting, tie-dyeing, and other forms of direct dye application.

Presoaking the fabric in soda ash is the usual recipe for tie-dyeing and dye-painting. You can use the fabric while it is still wet with soda ash, or line-dry it so that the soda ash dries on the fabric. For a smoother solid color in high-water-ratio immersion dyeing, soda ash should be gradually added after first stirring the fabric with the dye and salt for a few minutes. For low water immersion, I prefer to add soda ash only after the dye has had a chance to soak into the fabric, but you should add the soda ash first if you want the sharpest color contrasts and less color separation.

Paula