heat setting methods
  • Hi. I make soft sculpture from muslim, fiberfill and paint. I've been using acrylic craft paint to do this. Now I'm using textile colors and textile media so that the soft sculpture will be softer (more pillow-like) and washable. I use the ironing method to set the colors, but this means that I must paint the fabric before I sew the piece together. I would prefer to paint the piece after I sew it together. I'm avoiding using the clothes dryer for the heat set method for energy conservation reasons. I've tried the kitchen oven (electric) but had some scorching issues. I'm thinking of trying a heat gun (with a 300 degree temperature setting - I will have to buy it). My hair dryer heats to 225 degrees. Does anyone have any experience with this? I noticed that Jacquard sell stuffed forms. How are those intended to be heat set? I attached a photo to show what I am making. Any feedback will be appreciated.
  • Hi there,

If you are using Jacquard Textile Traditional paints you can use Jacquard Airfix with it. That will reduce/replace the need for heat setting.

anet
  • Hi. Will Airfix impact the softness of the fabric surface? If so, how?
  • If you are using the Textile Traditionals with the Airfix the softness of your project will not be affected. anet