Help with Idye Poly
  • Hello all my name is Stan and new to this group. I have been using the acid power dyes for some time, but they don't really give me the intense color I was looking for and basically washes out went I rinse the material. It turns out given me a light color.

I just purchased some iDye poly for the work I do. I'm trying to dye white Dacron kite line with this new product and hopefully get the bright color I need.

Has anybody tried it yet with this type of material or similar and get positive results? I also read the instructions on this site and it says to mix idye & idye poly.

If anyone has any suggestions please pass them along. My customers have been asking for various color string on the Instruments I make and sure could use the help.. Thanks so much for sharing!

Stan
    PS. If you want to take a look at the Insturments I make you can go to www.pacificcoastpercussion.com and see where this string will go and possible look.

THANKS!
  • It's no wonder your colors have been pale, if you've been trying to dye Dacron polyester with acid dyes. Acid dyes don't work at all on polyester. The only kind of dye that works permanently on polyester is disperse dye, which must be what is contained in iDye poly. The only possible alternative for polyester is to pigment-dye with a fabric paint such as Dye-Na-Flow, which will stick to both polyester and natural fibers. iDye Poly ought to work far better than your acid dye has been working, since it is designed for use on polyester. (I have not tried it myself.)

The site says to mix iDye with iDye Poly for mixed fibers only. It seems that your strings are made only of Dacron, so there's no reason to mix them. There is no point in mixing iDye with iDye Poly unless there is cotton blended with your polyester, since the non-Poly version of iDye is said to work only on natural fibers.

Disperse dyes work best at or (preferably) above boiling temperatures, so we can expect the iDye Poly to work far better in the stovetop method than in the washing machine method.

Acid dyes do work well on nylon, so if you have nylon strings you should probably stick to the old acid dyes for dyeing those. Disperse dyes work on nylon, too, but acid dyes are more washfast on nylon and are available in a much wider range of colors.

Paula
  • Thanks Paula for the info, I'll post back on here for my results.
  • Stan,,they are beautiful..are they drums?? Which end do you play on? I couldn't tell from the one picture. Lynn
  • Lynn,
    Thanks for your interest in my work. They are percussion Instruments and played by patting the bottom of the gourd while moving the skirt (Beads) up and down. A deep or high tone depending on the size of the gourd will come out of the open end. The Instrument is versitile and provides a distinct sound when played. Its normal played in in Latin Jazz and Afro Cuban Folkloric settings. Again Thanks you so much in your interest!

Stan