hello and question on dyeing silk!
  • hello! I'm new to this forum and was wondering if you could help... I have an ivory silk dress (it is pure silk but quite stiff, a bit like tafetta with a satin sheen). I would like to dye it dark blue. What is the best way of doing it? I am afraid the dye won't spread evenly... I was thinking of having it dyed professionaly but it is so expensive! Should I take the plunge and give it a go? Any advice greatly appreciated....
  • I'm not sure that this is the best beginner project for you to start learning to dye with. It's best to start with something that is not very valuable in itself, so that your learning experiences don't have disappointing consequences. You can buy white silk scarf blanks very inexpensively.

The trouble with dyeing a large dress is that your dyeing vessel must be large enough for the fabric to move freely in, if you want to obtain a single smooth solid color. Acid dyes work best on silk at or just below 185°F, which is higher than most people can reach in their washing machines. If this is an inexpensive silk dress blank, or a dress you don't really care about, then I'll encourage you to go for it, using the washing machine.

I know of three companies that will redye a single dress for you. Their contact information is listed on my Find a Custom Dyer page. Have you found another company that does this?

Paula
  • thanks so much for your reply- yes I think it may be best to pay to have oit done rather than regret it later....I'm in the uk so the companies listed won't work for me but I have found a small company that spe******ed in dyeing costume and ballet apparel who said they would do my dress for me....