Now that I have a clue....
  • ...what do I do with all the bottles and boxes of RIT dye I have sitting around? Seriously - I'd rather not pour them down the sink into the environment without using them, but I like LOTS of colors, not so much call for single-color items.

Suggestions?
  • You can try an adaptation of low water immersion dyeing by mixing your all-purpose dye in a small amount of water, pouring one or more colors over your fabric which has been stuffed into a glass canning jar, and then placing the canning jars into a larger dyepot with water in it, to simmer them for half an hour or an hour. The results will not be very washfast, though, unless you after-treat the fabric, after you've rinsed it out, with a cationic dye fixative such as Retayne. Even then, you might not want to wash the clothes dyed with all-purpose dye in the same load as your other laundry.

If it were me, I'd be inclined to throw the containers of all-purpose dye in the trash, or offer to give them away free on freecycle, because other types of dye, such as Procion MX dye, are easier to use, look better, and last so much longer on the fabric. I don't want to spend my time on using lower quality ingredients. I also enjoy being able to throw all of my laundry into a single load, regardless of color, because all of my dyes are very washfast and don't run in the laundry.

Paula