Dorland's Wax Medium on aluminum
  • I have a couple of questions about Dorland's Wax Medium and aluminum. I have small panels of aluminum sheet that I have textured via grinding that I need to seal and protect from oxidation and finger prints. I have been using spray finishes but I don't like the smell and health hazard. Would Dorland's Wax Medium work for this? If so, what would be the recommended method for applying, drying time, buffing? Recommended temp range for the studio? I purchased a gallon thinking that it would be perfect, but I am having problems making it work.

Thanks,
    Marie
  • Hello,
    can you be more specific about the issues you are having applying the wax? However, I don't think the Dorlands is going to one, produce a hard enough finish or probably adhere particularly easily to the metal. I would have recomended an acrylic clear gel instead. This could be brushed, rollered or sprayed on. As long as there is not oil or oil based paints on the panel that will work pretty effectively.
    Celia
  • I brushed on a thin coat of wax, and waited and waited, but it didn't buff like I thought it would. I checked after 2 days, then 4 days, then 6 and so on. My goal is to be able to seal the aluminum, to protect against oxidation and against scratches, with something less hazardous than the Krylon Clear Acrylic spray than I have been using. I would like a little shine, but would be happy with anything from a satin to a glossy finish. What specific clear gel would you recommend?

Thanks,
    Marie