painting on wool
  • I am confused as to when I add the vinegar (acid) to the solution of acid dyes, prior to painting on wool. Can anyone enlighten me? I am experienced with painting on silk using ready made dyes (dupont) and then steam fixing, but now I want to move on to woven wool.
  • Hi,

Here are instructions for a wool paint using acid dyes.

Add 8 oz. (1 cup) of very hot water to one .5 oz. Acid Dye Powder. Stir until dissolved. This will yield a very concentrated dye solution. Most colors require further dilution. Note: every color has a different solubility. Some colors are difficult to dissolve such as 605 and 618, but most are easily dissolved. The final concentration of the dye solution for painting should be between 4 and 8%. Start by adding 4 oz. (1/2 cup) of water to the 8 ounces you already have, test the color and continue adding water until desired shade is achieved. Keep in mind that the color intensity really develops in the steam setting process. Most colors will remain stable in solution for a long period of time. However, some colors will fall out of solution upon cooling or from sitting for a matter of weeks. To restore them simply heat them on the stove. A small amount of alcohol (about 1 tablespoon) can be added to the dye solution as a wetting agent.

Celia