Which blue to buy to darken jeans?
  • I've never dyed anything before.
    I have a couple of pairs of new faded blue jeans. I want them to be dark blue so they look a little nicer/ dressier. I liked the fit (not easy to find for my fat butt!) so I bought them even though ther faded out look is not good on me.

Which color or combo of colors do I buy to make them look dark blue?

Thanks a lot
  • islands2b said:
    I have a couple of pairs of new faded blue jeans.
    Which color or combo of colors do I buy to make them look dark blue?
    You can use navy blue Procion MX dye, which will work well on the 100% cotton material. The easiest way to dye clothing a solid color is in the washing machine. Weigh your jeans and be sure to use enough dye for the weight of the fabric. Don't forget to add salt and soda ash.

However, you should keep in mind that the results will not look like denim. Denim's characteristic look is provided by the contrast between the blue weft threads going in one direction, and the white warp threads that are at right angles to the blue. Once you have dyed denim a solid color, it looks like a solid blue twill rather than denim. You'll probably be happy with the effect, anyway.

Don't use all-purpose dye on your jeans. Procion MX dye gives much better results on cotton.

Paula