Best Way to Dye Alpaca
  • Hi,

I have tried dyeing Alpaca using acid dyes, but they always come out much lighter/less intense than wool--even when dyed at the same time as wool. I can't help feeling there must be some trick to either open up the fiber to the dye or cause more dye to bond to it.
    Thanks
    Lisa
  • Hi,

I'm new to this group and to dying all together, but because alpaca is a natural fiber, maybe there is still some oil in the fiber. Try to wash some and dye it.

Good luck,
    Borie
  • Hi,
    Acid dye will work. Wash the wool thoroughly in hot water before dyeing with synthrapol to remove any oils.
    Here is a link to the dye instructions.
    http://www.jacquardproducts.com/products/dyes/aciddye/instructions1.php
    Celia
  • I always wash my fiber with synthrapol before dyeing and put a bit in the dye water as well. I don't know why alpaca is so different than wool, but it seems to be.

Actually, I found out that if I dyed the fiber at a higher temperature and for a longer period of time it did a wonderful job.
  • Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, the fiber is washed and I do use synthrapol. Alpaca is a lanolin/oil free fiber. I am a bit sporadic about checking dyebath temperatures. I will try again and check the temperature (should be 180 degrees) and let it cool overnight in the pot. I really need red and scralet for the holiday season!!
    Lisa, thanks for the info about wool - (I have not dyed wool) only alpaca since I have a herd of 26!!! I have also dyed mohair and silk with the same dye with great results.
    Have any of you used the Jacquard iDye fixative?
    Louise
  • Dyeingtofelt said:
    Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, the fiber is washed and I do use synthrapol. Alpaca is a lanolin/oil free fiber. I am a bit sporadic about checking dyebath temperatures. I will try again and check the temperature (should be 180 degrees) and let it cool overnight in the pot. I really need red and scralet for the holiday season!!
    Lisa, thanks for the info about wool - (I have not dyed wool) only alpaca since I have a herd of 26!!! I have also dyed mohair and silk with the same dye with great results.
    Have any of you used the Jacquard iDye fixative?
    Louise

I am new to dying, and would love so much to know what I should use to dye tibetan lamb and mohair, still on the leather, so I cannot use hot water as the leather will become dry. This is all to make doll wigs of different colors.
    Your answer will be much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Helene
  • My alpaca pooped on me