how to even out an uneven dye job?
  • Ok, here's the story. I have worked on a wool sweater for a long time, and I finally had all the pieces done. However, I ran out of yarn just before I was done with the last piece, and I had to substitute a yarn of a slightly different color. You can see a photo of this here:

I decided to dye all the pieces in order to cover up this slight color difference. I used Jacquard acid dye in chestnut. I did the dyeing on the stove top. I heated approx. 1/2 oz. of the dye with 1/3 cup white vinegar in 4 gallons of water to about 180 degrees with the pieces in the dye bath. Unfortunately, the color came out uneven. Here is a photo of the results:

What should I do? Any suggestions on how I can even out the color on this? I have read a bit about glauber salts. Could I use them to level out this color? The sweater is wool, by the way.

Thank you for any and all suggestions.
  • Hi,

It may be better to strip the color out using color remover and start again. Asl use bottled water to ensure the water quality is good when dyeing with acid dyes.