how can I get crisp lines?
  • Hi!

I've read skimmed through the forum and didn't quite see an answer to my question, so hope it's ok if I ask.

I'd like to make some t-shirt designs, and I really don't care if it's done through hand-painting or screening. I really, really like the quality of the Lumiere metallic paint and since I don't have the materials for screening, I just handpainted a design. My question is how I can make it look more "professional," aka have crisp lines surrounding the design? Would using resist help with that? Or is there something else I can use that would give me a consistently equal thickness to draw in a clean outline? My paintbrush tends to give me fuzzy, crude-looking edges. Or maybe using a stencil would help cut down on bleedy/smeary-looking edges?

Any advice would be much appreciated!
  • Of course it's okay to ask!

You can do a couple of things.
    Experiment with different brushes--sometimes that's all you need to do to improve line quality. It may help if you thin the paint somewhat. You can add about 25% plain water to Lumiere--you'll have to practice a bit to find the right proportions, if you add too much water you'll get bleeding.

Stencils are a great way to go. Check out Diane Ericson's website
    http://www.dianeericson.com/c/homepage/homepage.html
    She designs beautiful stencils and uses them in very creative ways!

One last thing.
    Have you checked out the Tee Juice markers? They might be just the thing to add to your designs.

We'd love to see what you've done, when you've done something you love!

Noelle